Surf School Hawaii - Group Surf Lessons in Waikiki with Big Wave Dave Surf Shop
Group Surfing Class will provide the best value for your money and give you a safe environment to learn to surf in. Grab a group of friends and learn how to surf, or come by yourself, and we’ll find a group for you. A group of 3 to 5 surfers team up with a Big Wave Dave instructor.
There is no minimum group size. The minimum age is 7 years old and kids who are 4-6 must take a private/tandem lesson. The kids will be surfing with the family, just on a board with an instructor, for extra safety. All levels are welcome from beginner to advanced.
Five convenient lesson start times to choose from everyday:
Group Surf Lesson Rates in Waikiki with Big Wave Dave
$99 per person
Please contact us for corporate rates/discounts.
Answers to Common Questions about Big Wave Dave's Group Surf Lessons
- Lessons are 1.5 hours long.
- There are NO minimum group sizes.
- The minimum age to participate in Group Surf Lessons is 7, and ages 4-6 must take a private/tandem lesson.
- All surf lessons will include extensive land training and surf ethics.
- All of the equipment necessary for the lesson is included: surfboard, leash, and instruction.
- We use soft-top boards for our surf lessons.
- Fiberglass/Epoxy boards are available for the experienced surfer.
- The water is shallow, depending on the spot, typically waist deep.
- We are experienced with students who have special needs, please let us know at time of booking.
- Lessons are available year round.
- Reservations are required; space is limited, so please book in advance.
- Surf Lesson Photos available for purchase after lesson.
- Corporate groups, school organizations, team building retreats, organized outings welcome.
- Don’t forget your swimsuit and sun block!
Discover Surfing on Oahu with Big Wave Dave Surf School
Waves are really nice to watch, but learning how to ride one is more thrilling than you can ever imagine. We teach children aged 4* years old and up and adults of all ages the fundamentals of surfing, ocean safety, and Hawaiian culture through safe and easy techniques that are proven to work.
We will choose the best location for you to learn on the day of your surf lesson. The ocean can be inconsistent and crowded, and the waves differ at each location from day to day. With so many beautiful ocean spots to choose from on Oahu, Big Wave Dave will find the right spot for you to catch the best waves for your surf experience and comfort level.
It starts with a 20-minute land lesson where students learn proper water safety and etiquette, paddling technique, turning the surfboard, maneuvering over waves and positioning to stand up and ride your first wave. The rest of the time, about an hour to an hour and a half, is spent in the water learning to stand up and ride waves.
* Children ages 4-6 are welcome to join their family and friends for lessons, however, they are required to pay a difference to receive a private instructor. Young children are much safer riding tandem on a board with an instructor or side by side on two boards. Safely is always the priority.
Beginner Group - Surf School Lesson Plan
Beginner surfers will be introduced to surfing in an atmosphere of fun and understanding through the promotion of proper surfing form, technique and etiquette. They will learn about water safety, ocean awareness and wave conditions. And catch their first waves in warm Hawaiian waters.
Typical Lesson Plan
First 20 min: (On land)
- Watch the ocean and the waves together and talk about ocean safety.
- Give instruction on how to paddle and position yourself on the board.
- Teach you how to read the waves.
- Time to get wet! You will paddle out to where the waves are breaking, with your instructor by your side to help you and guide you the whole time.
- We will get you out in the ocean and help you learn to stand up.
- We will work on correct wave etiquette, style and technique.
- Talk with you about the world of surfing, basic rules of surfing, and answer questions.
- After that, use our board and practice on your own.
Once you stand up on your board for your first time, you will understand why surfers are so stoked all the time.
Intermediate / Advanced Group - Surf School Lesson
For more advanced students, the surf instructor will choose the surf spot with the best conditions for your skill level, then tell you all about the particular aspects of that break. Once you paddle out together, he will help you improve your wave judgment and surfing techniques by observing, giving you pointers and tips on new maneuvers.